Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Obama Admin Pays Women 18% Less Than Men for "Equal Work"

The Democrats are still trying to make hay of the "binders of women" squirrel.  Anyone pointing to that as an actual data-point is unserious and can be safely ignored.  However, the SCOAMT has been touting his signing of the Lilly Ledbetter Act as proof that he supports women more than Mr. Romney.  I believe this requires some context.

The Lilly Ledbetter act does not actually guarantee women equal pay.  It does make it much more difficult for employers to hire women in the first place, however.  Basically what it says is this- if a woman finds out that she was paid less "for the same work" as a man by her employer, she now has something like 6 months (I don't have the exact verbiage in front of me) after she has left that job to file suit against them.  Then, as with all "discrimination" suits, the burden of proof does not fall on the accuser (where it should) but on the accused (where it should not).

Now, that's a terrible bill built on several faulty premises, but that's not the point here.  I may tear it apart at some future date, but I think something else is important here. 

Once again, Barack Obama has been caught in a "do as I say, not as I do" moment.  You see, Barack Obama's administration pays women, on average, 18% less than men in similar positions.  That is, they're not getting "equal pay for equal work."  One would think, if "equal pay" were actually a priority of the President's, that they would be paid the same, or at least more nearly the same.  They are not.

I, personally, have asked Mr. Obama about this (via responses to his twitter feed) on several occasions, including several just today, but I receive only silence as an answer.  That actually doesn't bug me- I'm just some guy, why would he respond?  However, the fact is he has never answered that question, and people more prominent than I have asked it.  So why doesn't he answer?

Because he can't.  In a party who believes that hypocrisy is the worst (and possibly only) sin, Barack Obama is a hypocrite among hypocrites.

1 comment:

  1. Use sources. Else this is a spurious argument.

    ReplyDelete