Monday, September 10, 2012

That's My Girl

"And having just read up on it, I'm less than impressed with the act personally. I think having the initial 160 days to contest your pay is pleanty. If you're upset about it you should act accordingly, not sit around and wait. Extending the time period to 160 (or 180) days after any given paycheck is silly. Do I think women should get equal pay for equal work? Yes. Unfortunately there are a lot of women out there who don't do equal work but complain (under the guise of feminism) that they're not getting equal pay. If I'm being underpaid compared to my male coworkers for doing the same job, AND having the same qualifications, then you can bet your butt I'm gonna start trying to get that fixed. However, I know from experience that I've been paid less (once 10K a year less) than some of my coworkers (both male and female) for doing the same work (and sometimes doing it better) simply because I don't have a degree and they do. Is that fair? Is someone going to start suing over that now? The fact is most states are right to work and if you don't like they way you're being treated at your current job, find a new one. I guess what I'm saying is that yes, if the situation is correct equal pay is deserved no matter your gender but I don't think this bill helped in any way at all. In fact, it really looks like it may have opened the door to making things worse."

That long post was a reply from my wife to a friend of hers regarding the Lilly Ledbetter Act, passed (why?) by congress and signed by President Obama.  Now, my wife is not particularly political.  She picks up some from me, but mostly avoids political websites or news, so she didn't know about Lilly Ledbetter when it initially came up.

That email was about 10 minutes later.  And she still didn't know about the fact that President Obama pays his female staff an average of 18% less than the men working for him.  And Democrats accuse Republicans of hypocrisy.

Now, this post really has 3 points.

1) Almost any Democrat position can (and should be) debunked with minimal effort from someone who knows jack squat about anything.

2) Your views are important to people around you, and you can (and should) share them.

3) My wife is awesome, and that little nugget made my weekend.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA! I'm glad I made your weekend. :o) I certainly didn't make hers..... Oh well, you can't please everybody.

    ReplyDelete